Overview of course content:
This is a course in astro navigation and worldwide meteorology which also reveals the mysteries of the sextant. It assumes a sound knowledge of all subjects covered in the Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper and RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased courses.
RYA Ocean Theory – 6 days
- The Earth and the Celestial Sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The Sextant
- Measurement of Time
- Meridian Altitudes
- Sun, Moon, Planet and Star sights.
- Compass checking
- Satellite Navigation systems
- Great Circle Sailing
- Passage Planning
- Passage Making
RYA Ocean Sights – 3 days
- Sail out so that no land marks are seen as this is a pre-requisite from RYA
- Sights to be taken 2 – 3 hours apart
PRE- REQUISITES for RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
- Hold a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.
- Completed as Skipper/Mate, a Qualified Passage, involving full Planning of a non-stop 600 miles, 4 Day Passage at least 50 miles from land.
- Hold a First Aid Qualification.
Oral – The candidate must provide the examiner with:
- A narrative account of the planning and execution of the qualifying passage
- Navigational records, completed on board a yacht on passage, out of sight of land, showing that the candidate has navigated the yacht without the use of electronic navigational aids. The record must include a minimum of: planning, reduction and plotting of a sun-run meridian altitude sight and a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, a star or a planet.