|Prior experience required
||Navigation to Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper Shorebased Standard. Sailing to Day Skipper Practical Standard
||18 years old
||5 days plus exam time
|Number of students
||Minimum 3 / Maximum 5
Presented at our office in Club Mykonos Private Resort, Langebaan. We are situated on the shores of the picturesque Langebaan Lagoon.
This course teaches the student about astro-navigation, meteorology and the use of the sextant.
It is assumed that the student have knowledge of all subjects covered in other shorebased (theory) courses
Who is it for?
If you want to skipper a yacht on ocean passages, this is the course for you.
Ability after course
Background knowledge to skipper a yacht on ocean passages.
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- RYA student pack
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-Shirt
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Log Book
Our training includes the following:
- Power Point Presentations
- Dividers (on loan or for sale)
- Plotters (on loan or for sale)
- Training manuals (on loan or for sale)
- Stationary (on loan)
- Pocket calculators (on loan)
This course covers the following topics:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite navigation systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning
- Passage making
RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased course certificate
Please contact us for our course prices and request a detailed quote.
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates.
Accommodation and Food
Accommodation is not included during the 6 day theory module (6 days). Accommodation approximately R170.00/day in Atlantic Yachting Crew House. The crew house is walking distance from our office and yachts.
Light lunches, coffee, tea, sugar and milk are supplied during the day.
Breakfast and dinner is not included in the course fee, however, tea, coffee and sugar is supplied on the yachts. We also provide a nutritional menu plan (including shopping list) typically used when on the sea. We encourage students to cook on the yacht as part of the yachting experience & this helps with budgeting.
What to bring and what we supply
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Suitable clothing – layers are always a good idea
- Gloves (optional) – can be purchased from us
- Sailing or soft light-soled shoes – can be purchased from us
- Sleeping bags
- Sun cream, hat, towels, toiletries
- Weather proof jacket / foul weather gear – we can provide foul weather gear on loan for free
- Extra money for food & beverages – cooking on board the yacht is encouraged for the experience and to help stretch your budget
WHAT WE SUPPLY
- Light lunches during theory modules
- Charts & navigation equipment on loan – can be purchased from us
- Course completion certificate
- Sheets & pillows
- Full galley
- Cleaning products
- Tea, coffee, sugar, milk
- Foul weather gear on loan for practical courses
National and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour’s drive from our office in Langebaan.
Car rentals from airport/Cape Town
There are drop-off points for the following rental car companies in Langebaan:
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 2807
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 1006
If the need be, we can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and alternative accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our office. Please make arrangements with our office prior to your arrival.
THE MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office at the Club Mykonos Marina, Agora Square at 08:00. After the first day theory courses will commence at 08:30am and finish by 17:00.