The following aspects will be covered during the Prep Week: 5 days:
This course is designed to revise the theoretical and practical aspects of the RYA Yachtmater Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Exams.
It is assumed that all aspects of boat handling and theory are familiar to the students and only revision is required.
Boat Handling (sailing on and off docks, ferry gliding, blind navigation, picking up moorings, tidal stream work etc)
Responsibilities of Skipper
Safety checks & briefing
***Candidates must have satisfied the Exam Prerequisites before attempting this course and the Exam***
RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Exam: 2-4 days
- Practical exam with external examiner
(Source: Royal Yachting Association Syllabus and Logbook G15/10)
What to bring
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Suitable clothing – layers are always a good idea
- Gloves (optional) – can be purchased from us
- Sailing or soft light-soled shoes – can be purchased from us
- Sleeping bags
- Sun cream, hat, towels, toiletries
- Weather proof jacket / foul weather gear – we can provide foul weather gear on loan for free
- Extra money for food & beverages – cooking on board the yacht is encouraged for the experience and to help stretch your budget
WHAT WE SUPPLY
- Light lunches during theory modules
- Booklets supplied on loan for RYA Competent Crew course
- Charts & navigation equipment on loan – can be purchased from us
- Course completion certificates
- Sheets & pillows
- Full galley
- Cleaning products
- Tea, coffee, sugar, milk
- Foul weather gear on loan for practical courses
National and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour’s drive from our office in Langebaan.
Car rentals from airport/Cape Town
There are drop-off points for the following rental car companies in Langebaan:
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 2807
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 1006
- Contact person: Bill Spurling
- Contact number: +27 (0)82 677 4672
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If the need be, we can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and alternative accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our office. Please make arrangements with our office prior to your arrival.
THE MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office at the Club Mykonos Marina, Agora Square at 08:30. After the first day theory courses will commence at 08:30am and finish by 17:00.