|Prior experience required
|Number of students
||Minimum 3 / Maximum 10
The course is presented at our office based in Club Mykonos Private Resort, Langebaan.
With a mixture of theory and practical teaching, the course introduces you to the use of a marine VHF radio equipped with a Digital Selective Calling (DSC) facility. The course is taught with radio simulators and the day ends with an assessment in the form of a short written test.
Who is it for?
If you own a marine radio hand-held or fixed set, the law requires you to hold a radio operators licence. The licence will also benefit recreational sailors and those seeking work in the Mega Yachting Industry.
Ability after course
The student will have the knowledge and confidence to communicate effectively on a VHF Radio.
RYA Restricted (VHF ) Radio Operators Certificate
There is an exam fee of £60.00 which is payable directly to RYA by the student, using a credit card. Please bring along x 2 ID photo’s
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- RYA Student Pack
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
Our training includes the following:
- Power Point Presentations
- Training manuals (on loan or for sale)
- Stationary (on loan)
The course content is as follows:
- Basics of radio operation
- Correct frequencies (channels) to use
- Distress procedures
- Emergency procedures
- Medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
(Source: Royal Yachting Association Syllabus and Logbook G15/10)
Please contact us for high and low season prices as well as current specials. If you make a group booking (3 or more people), you qualify for a group discount
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates. If you have a group booking (3 – 5 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
Accommodation is not included during the 2 day course unless you are doing a 4 / 7 or 13 Week Career Course. Accommodation approximately R170.00/day in Atlantic Yachting Crew House. The crew house is walking distance from our office and yachts.
Coffee, tea, sugar and milk are supplied during the day.
What to bring
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Suitable clothing – layers are always a good idea
- Gloves (optional) – can be purchased from us
- Sailing or soft light-soled shoes – can be purchased from us
- Sleeping bags
- Sun cream, hat, towels, toiletries
- Weather proof jacket / foul weather gear – we can provide foul weather gear on loan for free
- Extra money for food & beverages – cooking on board the yacht is encouraged for the experience and to help stretch your budget
WHAT WE SUPPLY
- Light lunches during theory modules
- Booklets supplied on loan for RYA Competent Crew course
- Charts & navigation equipment on loan – can be purchased from us
- Course completion certificates
- Sheets & pillows
- Full galley
- Cleaning products
- Tea, coffee, sugar, milk
- Foul weather gear on loan for practical courses
National and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour’s drive from our office in Langebaan.
Car rentals from airport/Cape Town
There are drop-off points for the following rental car companies in Langebaan:
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 2807
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 1006
- Contact person: Bill Spurling
- Contact number: +27 (0)82 677 4672
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If the need be, we can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and alternative accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our office. Please make arrangements with our office prior to your arrival.
THE MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office at the Club Mykonos Marina, Agora Square at 08:30. After the first day theory courses will commence at 08:30am and finish by 17:00.