Prior experience required:
Knowledge of navigation and chart work to Coastal skipper level (for an extra fee we can offer navigation prior to the course )
PB2 plus PTO or Intermediate powerboat course or equivalent driving experience
Duration: 2 days – 13:00 to after dark on first day, second day 10:00 to 16:00
Number of students: 3:1
The course is presented at our office based in Langebaan, Club Mykonos.
Who is it for?
This course is for all deck hands that are wishing to drive independent vessels during the day and night. The commercial MCA rating is 24m vessel less than 80 gross tons and 20 miles off shore. This includes:
- Yacht crew operating larger tenders
- Yacht crew operating independent support vessels not under the Yachts tender code
- Helmsman supporting the oilrig, mining, survey, diving, fishing and charter sectors.
About the process
This can be split into 3 sectors
- The Advance course
- The Advanced Exam
- The Commercial endorsement
RYA Advanced Powerboat Exam for Certificate of Competence
This Exam is required for persons looking to gain a commercial endorsement and for and Powerboat instructors looking to become Advanced Instructors. The exam is not required for anyone holding the Yachtmaster Power C of C commercially endorsed.
- Knowledge of navigation and chart work to Coastal skipper level (for an extra fee we can provide navigation tuition prior to the course)
- RYA VHF radio licence
- First Aid at Sea Certificate (STCW)
- Logged Sea Time, 30 days, 2 as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours.
- Logged Sea Time if you hold the Advanced course certificate, 20 days, 2 as skipper, 400 logged miles and 12 night hours (in addition to the sea time on the course)
3 to 8 hours depending on numbers, maximum 3 students, Exam will include night driving and navigation.
RYA/MCA Advanced Powerboat Commercial Endorsement
Required if you wish to drive an MCA coded boat up to 24m in length / 80 gross tons to Category 3 (20 miles from a safe haven, day and night) or wish to become a Advanced instructor.
You will need:
- medical (ENG 1, available from approved marine Doctors)
- sea survival certificate (STCW)
- Certificate for RYA online course (Professional Practices and Responsibilities)
- Advanced Powerboat Exam Certificate