|Prior experience required
|Number of students
||Minimum 3 / Maximum 10
The course is presented at our office based in Langebaan.
With a mixture of theory and practical teaching, the course introduces you to the use of radar in small boats as an aid to navigation and for preventing collision.
Who is it for?
Any person going to sea on a small boat equipped with radar equipment will find the course useful. The course will also benefit recreational sailors and those seeking work in the Mega Yachting Industry.
Ability after course
The student will be able to use radar equipment as an aid in navigation and preventing collisions.
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- RYA Student Pack
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-shirt
Our training includes the following:
- Power Point Presentations
- Training manuals (on loan or for sale)
- Stationary (on loan)
- Pocket calculators (on loan)
The course content is as follows:
- Basic understanding of radar wave propagation
- Radar set components
- Target definition and discrimination
- Radar reflectors
- Types of radar display
- Radar plotting
- Use of radar as an aid to navigation
- Accuracy in range and bearing
- General safety precautions in using equipment
(Source: Royal Yachting Association Syllabus and Logbook G15/10)
RYA Radar Certificate
Please contact us for course fees and request a quote.
Accommodation is not included during the 1 day course, unless you are doing a 15 Week Career Course. Accommodation approximately R170.00/day in Atlantic Yachting Crew House. The crew house is walking distance from our office and yachts.
Coffee, tea, sugar and milk are supplied during the day.
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates. If you have a group booking (3 – 5 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
What to bring
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Pencil and eraser
- Note book
- Lunch and refreshments
WHAT WE SUPPLY
- RYA Radar Student Pack
- Navigation equipment on loan – can be purchased from us
- Course completion certificates
- Tea, coffee, sugar, milk
National and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour’s drive from our office in Langebaan.
Car rentals from airport/Cape Town
There are drop-off points for the following rental car companies in Langebaan:
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 2807
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 1006
THE MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office at the Club Mykonos Marina, Agora Square at 08:00.