|Prior experience required
||Some practical sailing experience
|Number of students
||Minimum 4 / Maximum 10
Presented at our office in Club Mykonos, situated on the shore of the picturesque Langebaan Lagoon. the course will equip students with the theoretical knowledge necessary to be able to skipper a yacht and forms a sound foundation for those students wishing to train further to Yachtmaster level.
The RYA Day Skipper Shorebased course can be combined (optional) with the SAS Day Skipper Shorebased course at a minimal additional cost, enabling students to qualify with two certificates.
Who is it for?
The course is for those new to navigation and seamanship or wanting to consolidate existing skills. The students will acquire essential background knowledge needed to navigate a yacht on simple passages during day light hours only.
Ability after course
Skipper a small yacht in daylight hours in non-tidal waters familiar to the student.
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- RYA Day Skipper Student Pack
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-Shirt
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Log Book
Our training includes the following:
- Navigational equipment (on loan)
- Power Point presentations
This course introduces the students to the following fundamental topics necessary to be able to skipper a yacht:
- Nautical terms
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Definition of position, course and speed
- Navigational charts and publications
- Navigational drawing instruments
- Tides and tidal streams
- Visual aids to navigation
- MeteorologyPassage planning
- Navigation in restricted visibility
- Pilotage Marine environment
RYA Day Skipper for Sail and Power Craft Shorebased Course Certificate
Course dates & fees
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates.
If you have a group booking (4 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
Please contact us for our course prices and to request a detailed quotation.
Accommodation and Food
Accommodation is NOT included during the 5-day shorebased module. Bookings can be made at the Atlantic Yachting Crew House at R200pp/pn (dependent on availability). The Crew House is within walking distance of our office and yachts.
Alternatively, you can make a booking at one of the Guesthouses or Backpackers in the surrounding area.
Complimentary coffee, tea, sugar and milk are provided during the course at our office and the Crew House
What you need to bring and what we supply
What you need to bring:
- Stationery: 2 x 2B pencils, eraser, examination pad/note book, an A4 envelope, and a 20 page flip file for keeping certificates
- Laptop or tablet
- 6x ID photo’s with your name on the back
- Copy of ID document or passport
- Money for food and beverages – cooking at Atlantic Yachting Crew House is encouraged as part of the yachting experience and helps to stretch your budget. Budget for approximately R100 – R120 per day.
- Sleeping bag should you choose Atlantic Yachting Crew House
- Bring along a boogie board, surfboard or any other hobbies you enjoy!
What we supply
- RYA Student Packs and class notes
- RYA and In-house course completion certificates
- Navigational equipment (on loan) – or you can purchase from our shop
- Personal Log Book
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-shirt
- Fresh sheets, pillows and pillow cases at Crew House
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Sleeps 10 -12 people
- Self catering, serviced house
- Within walking distance to our office
National flights and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour and a half drive from our office in Club Mykonos, Langebaan.
CAR RENTAL FROM AIRPORT/ CAPE TOWN
There are drop-off points for the following rental companies in Langebaan:
Tel number: +27 (0) 22 772 2807
Tel number: +27 (0) 22 772 1006
Elweirda – South Africa’s Premier Coach Charter Company
Tel number: 0860 001 094
We will collect you from your drop-off point in Langebaan. Please arrange this with the office prior to your arrival.
We can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our offices. Please make arrangement with our office prior to your arrival.
MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office in Agora Square, Club Mykonos Resort, Langebaan at 08:00. From the second day of theory, classes will commence at 08:00 and finish by 17:00.