|Prior experience required
|Number of students
||Minimum 4 / Maximum 5
Training takes place on one of our L34’s in Langebaan, on the picturesque Langebaan Lagoon. This course will equip students with the practical knowledge necessary to be able to skipper a yacht and forms a sound foundation for those students wishing to train further to Yachtmaster level.
The RYA Day Skipper Tidal course can be combined (optional) with the SAS Day Skipper course at a minimal additional cost, enabling students to get two certificates for the price of one.
Who is it for?
The course is for those who aim to improve their sail setting and deck work. You will also develop your knowledge and understanding of seamanship and safety issues. During the course you will be able to take charge of the yacht on short tidal passages, under the guidance of the instructor
Ability after course
Skipper a small yacht safely in daylight hours in tidal waters familiar to the student.
RYA Day Skipper Tidal certificate and/or SAS Day Skipper certificate
Optional beneficial modules (bookings made upon request)
These modules are very desirable in the eyes of potential employers and will give you an edge over other job seekers in the yachting industry:
- RYA Power Boat Level II – 2 days
- Successful candidates will receive a license to drive a yacht tender under 10 metres.
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance – 1 day
- RYA Radar – 1 day
- RYA VHF 1 day
- Stewardess Training – 5 days
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- RYA Day Skipper Practical Booklet
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-Shirt
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Log Book
The scope of the course includes basic pilotage, boat handling, seamanship and navigation.
This course introduces the students to the following fundamental topics necessary to be able to skipper a yacht:
- Preparation for sea
- Deck work
- Rules of the road
- Maintenance and repair work
- Emergency situations
- Yacht handling under power
- Yacht handling under sail
- Passage making
- Night cruising
Qualifications obtained (for essential modules)
- RYA Day Skipper Tidal Practical Sailing Course Certificate
Course dates & price
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates.
If you have a group booking (4 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
Please contact us for our course prices and to request a detailed quotation.
Accommodation & food
During the practical modules, accommodation is included on board the Atlantic Yachting yachts. The yachts are all berthed in Club Mykonos Private Resort Marina. You will have access to the marina facilities by means of an access card on loan to you for the duration of the course.
Food is included. We provide a nutritional and budget friendly menu plan (including shopping list) as typically used when at sea. We encourage students to cook together. This forms part of the experience and helps to stretch your budget.
Coffee, tea, and sugar are provided on board the yacht.
What you need to bring and what we supply
What you need to bring:
- Suitable Sailing clothes to be worn during theory & practical modules: Sailing Shoes (Sperry’s, Docksiders, Timberlands, Crocs, etc.)
- Suitable comfortable clothing – layers are a good idea (T shirts, baggies, long sleeve T-shirts, rash vests, tracksuit pants, jeans, flip flops and warm clothes)
- Sleeping bag and a blanket
- Sun cream, hats, towels and toiletries
- Warm socks and a beanie
- 6x ID photo’s
- Bring along a boogie board, surfboard or any other hobbies you enjoy!
What we supply
- RYA and In-house course completion certificates
- Navigational equipment (on loan) – or you can purchase from our shop
- Foul weather gear (on loan)
- Personal Log Book
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-shirt
- Fresh sheets, pillows and pillow cases
- Fully equipped galley
National flights and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour and a half drive from our office in Club Mykonos, Langebaan.
CAR RENTAL FROM AIRPORT/ CAPE TOWN
There are drop-off points for the following rental companies in Langebaan:
Tel number: +27 (0) 22 772 2807
Tel number: +27 (0) 22 772 1006
Elweirda – South Africa’s Premier Coach Charter Company
Tel number: 0860 001 094
We will collect you from your drop-off point in Langebaan. Please arrange this with the office prior to your arrival.
We can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our offices. Please make arrangement with our office prior to your arrival.
MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office in Agora Square, Club Mykonos Resort, Langebaan at 08:00. From the second day of theory, classes will commence at 08:00 and finish by 17:00.