(Both courses have the same syllabus)
|Prior experience required
||RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate (Theory)
|Number of students
||Minimum 3 / Maximum 5
Presented at our office in Langebaan, situated on the shore of the picturesque Langebaan Lagoon. This advanced course will train the student in offshore and coastal navigation, pilotage and coastal and offshore passages.
Although some of the subjects in the Day Skipper Course are revised, it is unlikely that students who do not have the knowledge set out in the Day Skipper Course will be able to assimilate all the subjects covered in this course in the limited time available.
Who is it for?
This course is for the more experienced sailor who wants to upgrade tickets.
Ability after course
The student will have the background knowledge to skipper a yacht on coastal passages by day and night.
RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Certificate
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- RYA Student Pack
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-Shirt
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Log Book
Our training includes the following:
- Power Point Presentations
- Dividers (on loan or for sale)
- Plotters (on loan or for sale)
- Training manuals (on loan or for sale)
- Stationary (on loan)
- Pocket calculators (on loan)
The syllabus includes the following topics:
- The magnetic compass
- Tidal streams
- GPS and chart plotters
- Echo sounders
- Logs (speed and distance measuring)
- Deck log
- Rules of the road
- Safety at sea
- Navigation in restricted visibility
- Passage planning
- Marine environment
Please contact us for course fees and request a detailed quote.
If you make a group booking (4or more people), you qualify for a group discount.
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates.
If you have a group booking (3 – 5 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
Free accommodation supplied on board your training yacht for the duration of the course (including sheets, pillows, fully equipped galley and cleaning products). The yacht is serviced once a week. WIFI vouchers can be purchased from our office.
Light lunches, coffee, tea, sugar and milk are supplied during the day.
Breakfast and dinner is not included in the course fee, however, tea, coffee and sugar is supplied on the yachts. We also provide a nutritional menu plan (including shopping list) typically used when on the sea. We encourage students to cook on the yacht as part of the yachting experience & this helps with budgeting.
What to bring
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Suitable clothing – layers are always a good idea
- Gloves (optional) – can be purchased from us
- Sailing or soft light-soled shoes – can be purchased from us
- Sleeping bags
- Sun cream, hat, towels, toiletries
- Weather proof jacket / foul weather gear – we can provide foul weather gear on loan for free
- Extra money for food & beverages – cooking on board the yacht is encouraged for the experience and to help stretch your budget
WHAT WE SUPPLY
- Light lunches during theory modules
- Charts & navigation equipment on loan – can be purchased from us
- Course completion certificates
- Sheets & pillows
- Full galley
- Cleaning products
- Tea, coffee, sugar, milk
- Foul weather gear on loan for practical courses
National and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour’s drive from our office in Langebaan.
Car rentals from airport/Cape Town
There are drop-off points for the following rental car companies in Langebaan:
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 2807
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 1006
If the need be, we can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and alternative accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our office. Please make arrangements with our office prior to your arrival.
THE MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office at the Club Mykonos Marina, Agora Square at 08:00. After the first day theory courses will commence at 08:30am and finish by 17:00.