|Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper Prior experience required
||30 days sea time (2 days as skipper)
||800 nautical miles (on a vessel no larger than 24m/80ft)
||12 night hours
|Number of students
||Minimum 3 / Maximum 5
|Yachtmaster OffshorePrior experience required
||50 days sea time (5 days as skipper)
||2500 nautical miles (on a vessel no larger than 24m/80ft)
||5 passages over 60M, including 2 overnight & 2 as skipper
|Number of students
||Minimum 3 / Maximum 5
Training takes place on one of our L34s in Langebaan, on the picturesque Langebaan Lagoon. This course focuses on the practicalities of passage planning, pilotage and navigation (including at night), as well as command skills, manoeuvering under power and sail, and handling adverse weather conditions and emergency situations. For those with the relevant pre-requisite experience this is the ideal course to help you prepare for the RYA Yachtmaster practical examination.
Who is it for?
A more advanced course intended to develop and extend existing sailing and navigation skills to the level necessary to skipper yachts on coastal passages by day and night.
Ability after course
Coastal Skipper ~ Background knowledge to skipper a yacht on coastal passages by day and night.
Yachtmaster Offshore ~ Skipper a yacht on coastal passages by day and night.
Each student receives the following which is yours to keep after the course:
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-Shirt
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Log Book
Our training includes the following:
- Dividers (on loan or for sale)
- Plotters (on loan or for sale)
- Training manuals (on loan or for sale)
- Stationary (on loan)
- Pocket calculators (on loan)
- Foul weather gear (on loan)
This course introduces the students to the following fundamental topics necessary to be able to skipper a yacht on coastal and offshore passages by day and night:
- Passage planning
- Preparation for sea
- Passage making and ability as skipper
- Yacht handling under power
- Yacht handling under sail
- Adverse weather conditions
- Emergency situations
RYA Coastal Skipper Practical sailing course certificate
Please contact us for our course prices and request a detailed quote.
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates. If you have a group booking (3 – 5 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
Accommodation and Food
Free accommodation included on board your training yacht for the duration of the course (including sheets, pillows, fully equipped galley and cleaning products). The yacht is serviced once a week. WIFI at office
Food is included in the course fee. We also provide a nutritional menu plan (including shopping list) typically used when on the sea. We encourage students to cook on the yacht as part of the yachting experience.
What to bring and what we supply
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Suitable clothing – layers are always a good idea
- Gloves (optional) – can be purchased from us
- Sailing or soft light-soled shoes – can be purchased from us
- Sleeping bags
- Sun cream, hat, towels, toiletries
- Weather proof jacket / foul weather gear – we can provide foul weather gear on loan for free
- Extra money for food & beverages – cooking on board the yacht is encouraged for the experience and to help stretch your budget
WHAT WE SUPPLY
- Charts & navigation equipment on loan – can be purchased from us
- Course completion certificate
- Sheets & pillows
- Full galley
- Cleaning products
- Tea, coffee, sugar, milk
- Foul weather gear on loan for practical courses
National and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour’s drive from our office in Langebaan.
Car rentals from airport/Cape Town
There are drop-off points for the following rental car companies in Langebaan:
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 2807
- Telephone/Fax number: +27 (0)22 772 1006
If the need be, we can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and alternative accommodation needs. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our office. Please make arrangements with our office prior to your arrival.
THE MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office at the Club Mykonos Marina, Agora Square at 08:00. After the first day theory courses will commence at 08:30am and finish by 17:00.