|Prior experience required
|Number of students
||Minimum 4 / Maximum 5
A vital ingredient to the successful operation of any yacht, whether charter or private, is well-trained crew.
Atlantic Yachting Sailing School’s training programme is designed to meet the growing demand for professional crew on luxury yachts and super yachts.
The higher your sailing qualification, the easier it will be to find work on a yacht. This course will prepare you for jobs on a yacht at a level above the entry level.
If you are seeking work in the yachting industry for the first time or if you want to build a career in the yachting industry, certain courses are essential and others are highly desirable in the eyes of potential employers. We offer both the essential and the highly desirable qualifications. Please refer to the “Syllabus” tab below for the inclusive modules and other optional and beneficial modules.
Who Is This Course For?
This course offers a stepping stone into the International Yachting industry, which offers a wealth of travel opportunities and experiences.
The day skipper qualification will open up employment opportunities as deckhand or crew on board yachts of all sizes.
This is the ideal course for you if you want to do a gap year in the yachting industry or want to get a foot into the door to a future career in the industry.
Did you know? Following 2 months sea service, holders of the RYA Day Skipper certificate gain MCA Yacht Rating status.
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased (Theory)
- RYA Day Skipper Tidal (Practical)
- RYA VHF/SRC Radio
- Super Yacht Training – Deckhand course
Outsourced and not included in course price. We do however book it on your behalf
- STCW 2010 (Standard of Training & Certification of Watch keepers)
OPTIONAL AND BENEFICIAL MODULES (bookings only made upon request by student)
These modules are very desirable in the eyes of potential employers and will give you an edge over other job seekers in the yachting industry:
Qualifications Obtained (for inclusive modules)
- RYA Competent Crew Practical Sailing Course Certificate
- RYA/MCA Day Skipper for Sail and Power Craft Shorebased Certificate (Theory)
- RYA/MCA Day Skipper Tidal Practical Sailing Course Certificate
- RYA Short Range Certificate
- Atlantic Yachting Super Yacht Training / Deckhand Certificate
- STCW 2010 certificates (for outsourced modules)
- Marine Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention;
- Elementary First Aid at Sea;
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibility and Personal Survival Techniques;
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
External Exam fees, Registration fees and documents
The following must be paid directly by the student to the RYA by providing credit or debit card details on the relevant exam application form:
RYA SRC Exam fee – £60.00
RYA Commercial Endorsement Fee £33.00 (optional)
To obtain a Commercial Endorsement you will need the following additional documentation:
STCW 2010 course completion certificates
ENG 1 Medical Fitness Certificate (cost ± ZAR1700)
PPR Certificate/ Online course – approx. ZAR1000
Where To From Here?
Once qualified as a RYA Day Skipper you can add on to this by simply doing your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate.
Course Dates & Fees
The course is presented throughout the year. Please contact us for course dates.
If you have a group booking (3 or more people) we will try our best to accommodate you on your dates.
Please contact us for our course prices and to request a detailed quotation.
Accommodation & Food
During the shorebased modules, accommodation is included at the Atlantic Yachting Crew House. The Crew House is within walking distance of our office and yachts.
During the 5 day practical module, accommodation is included on board the Atlantic Yachting yachts. The yachts are all berthed in Club Mykonos Private Resort Marina. You will have access to the marina facilities by means of an access card on loan to you for the duration of the course.
Accommodation is not included for the 11 day STCW 2010 module in Cape Town. We have selected a couple of upmarket backpackers for our clients to choose from ±R220.00 per person per night. Please inquire should you need the details.
Freshly baked, something sweet is provided during the 5 day Day Skipper Theory course.
You can cook at the Self Catering Crew House – helps to stretch the budget.
Complimentary coffee, tea, sugar and milk are provided during the course at our office and the Crew House
Coffee, tea, and sugar are provided on board the yacht.
Food is included, we provide a nutritional and budget friendly menu plan (including shopping list) as typically used when at sea. We encourage students to cook together. This forms part of the experience.
What you need to bring and what we supply
What you need to bring:
- Stationery: 2 x 2B pencils, eraser, examination pad/note book, an A4 envelope, and a 20 page flip file for keeping certificates
- Laptop or tablet
- Suitable Sailing clothes to be worn during theory & practical modules: 5 x Khaki shorts (chinos); 5 x Navy Golf Shirts; Belt; and, Sailing Shoes (Sperry’s, Docksiders, Timberlands, Crocs, etc.)
- Suitable comfortable clothing – layers are a good idea (T shirts, baggies, long sleeve T-shirts, rash vests, tracksuit pants, jeans, flip flops and warm clothes)
- Sleeping bag and a blanket
- Sun cream, hats, towels and toiletries
- Warm socks and a beanie
- 6x ID photo’s
- Copy of ID document or passport
- ENG1 medical
- Money for food and beverages – cooking at Atlantic Yachting Crew House is encouraged as part of the yachting experience and helps to stretch your budget. Budget for approximately R100 – R120 per day.
- Bring along a boogie board, surfboard or any other hobbies you enjoy!
What we supply
- RYA Student Packs and class notes
- RYA and In-house course completion certificates
- Navigational equipment (on loan) – or you can purchase from our shop
- Foul weather gear (on loan)
- Personal Log Book
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting Cap
- Complimentary Atlantic Yachting T-shirt
- Fresh sheets, pillows and pillow cases at Crew House
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Serviced weekly
National flights and some international flights land at Cape Town International Airport. The airport is approximately an hour and a half drive from our office in Club Mykonos, Langebaan.
CAR RENTAL FROM AIRPORT/ CAPE TOWN
There are drop-off points for the following rental companies in Langebaan:
Tel number: +27 (0) 22 772 2807
Tel number: +27 (0) 22 772 1006
Elweirda – South Africa’s Premier Coach Charter Company
Tel number: 0860 001 094
We will collect you from your drop-off point in Langebaan. Please arrange this with the office prior to your arrival.
We can assist you in making arrangements to meet your transport and accommodation need. We make use of a registered shuttle service between Cape Town and Langebaan.
EVENING BEFORE COURSE STARTS (only by prior arrangement)
We can meet you the day before your course starts between 17:00 and 18:00 at our offices. Please make arrangement with our office prior to your arrival.
MORNING THE COURSE STARTS
Please meet us at the Atlantic Yachting Office in Agora Square, Club Mykonos Resort, Langebaan at 08:00. From the second day of theory, classes will commence at 08:00 and finish by 17:00.